Passing Under (Roman Bath)
In the center of the city there is a monumental ancient building remains. Some of the big arches and bath walls, which can be worn by underground motor vehicles, remain in houses belonging to the 19th century. These remnants belong to the remains of a bath built after the city brought scales and belts to the city during the Roman period.
Justinianus Bridge (Baç Bridge)
This three-eyed bridge, located at the entrance and north of Tarsus in the Adana Ankara highway, was built on the Tarsus River by the Byzantine emperor Justinianus. In the old days, because of the transfer of money from the bridge, this bridge was called "Baç" which means tax.
Bilali Habeşi Mesjid
During the conquest of Tarsus by the Arab armies, Bilali Habeşi, the Messenger of the Prophet, read and prayed at the place where the present mosque was located. In this place considered as a sacred place, a mosque and a well were built.
Eshabı Kehf (Seven Sleepers) Cave
Eshabi Kehf Cave, 12 km north of Tarsus, is considered a sacred place of visit by Christians and Muslims. The cave is covered with rocks at four corners and entered in 15-20 steps.
It was built by Sultan Abdülaziz in 1873 on the cave. Afterwards, a minaret with three balconies was added. There are various versions of the so-called Yelmiha, Mekselina, Mislina, Mernuş, Sazenuş, Debernuş and Kefeştetayush, seven young Christians and 8 Kinds of kites known as holy men, called Christians, 7 and Muslims, 8 saints.
The common myth that is described in all of these together with some changes. St. Long after Paulus passed the Christianity rules, he came to Tarsus, the Roman emperor, who was called Takyanus in the Arabic sources (Diocletian?), And invited them to appear before them because they believed in a single god in the polytheistic period, I told you. These young people, who did not want to give up their belief in monotheism, took advantage of the emperor for a few days and took shelter in this cavern near Tarsus and miraculously lived there for 300 years. When Yimha first woke up, he went to town to buy food, They go to the cave with it, when it turns out that it is not reasonable.
But in the cave, seven little birds can not see anything other than a nest. For this reason, this cave is also known as Yedi Uyurlar Cave. This result is in the Islamic version. Those who come to the cave can see that six people are praying in it. The bigger ones leave the cave outside and the cave becomes invisible after that. According to an academic study prepared by A.Akagündüz, Y. Baş, R. Tekin and O. Kaşıkç, Writers, have taken this rationale through the passage of the Qur'an's Qur'anic verses. Moreover, in the book they published according to the results of 36 sources, including 34 in Turkism and 2 in western, the place of this rumor is shown as the Joshua Kehf in Tarsus.
TA Çağlar suggested that the conical mountain structure at the place where it was said that the event was going to pass through a mountain ash and that the names had been added to the form of "nus and yüş" might have originated from Hittite, Luwi or Que such as Labarnaş or Hattuşaş rather than Islamic or antique . In this case, there is a different version which should be paid attention to this rumor which is controversial about its place and who it belongs to.
Old Mosque St.Paulus Church
It is said that the cathedral church was built as St.Paulus Cathedral in 1102. It is striking in Roman style with its high walls, wide interior, narrow side, deep windows and thick columns. In 1415, Ramazanoğlu was repaired by Ahmet Bey and turned around.
In addition to the new foundation, it is a bath dating from Roman times. The extension of Passage extends to the point where it is the Old Bath. It is written in the book next to the building that it was repaired in 1290, 1873.
It is also known as the "Shahmaran Bath" because it is believed that the legendary Serpent Shahmaran was cut here and his blood splashed on the walls of this bath.
White Bazaar (Forty Spoon)
It was built in 1579 west of Ulu Cami by Ramazanoğlu İbrahim Bey together with Ulu Mosque. It is located to the east of the Grand Mosque and has been used for many years as a municipality. It was restored in 1954 and turned into a bazaar.
The building is covered with five domes carried by two domes on the two sides of the western entrance and by the marbles on the walls of the vaulted shops. There is a bright lighthouse in the middle dome. The belts carrying the dome are pointed, and the arches of the entrance doors float.
Two of the shops are opened to the middle space with flat belts. Since the motifs used as frieze decorations are likened to the stalks by the locals, they are also referred to as "Forty Spoons" in Beyaz Bazaar.
Cleopatra Gate (Sea Gate)
The Cleopatra Gate, which the Tarsus locals call "Kancık Kapı" (the "Kancık Kapı"), is the only remaining ancient city gate. The city walls built during the Byzantine period had the Mountain Gate, the Adana Gate and the Sea Gate.
Evliya Çelebi wrote "Scaffolding Gate" for this door while telling Tarsus on his travels. He used cutting stones and horasan mortar, his belt is in the shape of a horse, and the height is 6.17 m and the depth is 6.18 m. The city was composed of two interior walls, the doors were closed at the time of the war. The Cleopatra Gate is one of the gates of these walls.
When the famous Egyptian Queen Cleopatra came to meet with the Roman General Antonius in Tarsus, it was said that they were met by a great ceremony at the port of Gözlükule, then the port of the sea. For this reason, the Sea Gate is also called the Cleopatra Gate. The sea gate was destroyed in the following years, and today's gate was built from the reigns. With the restoration made in recent years, the original feature of the door remains.
Kubat Pasha Madrasahi
It was built in 1557 by Kubat Pasha with stone. In the west, there is an outflow portal.
Opposite to the entrance eyvan, there are four main steps leading to the first one. This is overlain by the pegs sitting on the main wall through pendentives. There is a mihrab on the south side of this eyvan.
The rooms on the sides of the original eyvan and wide eyvan are covered with a monastery vault. There are student rooms in the north and south of the courtyard. Kubat Pasha Madrasa is used today as a Tarsus Museum.
Makamı Mosque and Daniel Prophet Grave
The Makamı Mosque was built in the city center in 1857. The mosque has two distinctive features, one of which is old and the other is new.
The mihrab is plain and steadfast. To the east, there is the Daniel Prophet’s Grave. For this reason, the mosque was called "Makam Mosque". The presence of the tomb of " Daniel Prophet" in Tarsus, a married city, is an important cultural and tourism potential for Tarsus.
Daniel the Prophet lived in the time of Nebuchadnezzar (605562 BC), the king of Babylonia; He was a prophet who lived in the time of Nebuchadnezzar (605562 BC), and saved Jewish prisoners in Babylon with his prophecies. According to my opinion; The king of Babylon commanded that all the boys born to Ishmael should be killed upon seeing that the next child of Ishmael would shake his throne.
Mehmet Felah Tomb
It is the tomb of Nurettin, the son of the Haramian Felah, who took Tarsus from the Armenians in 1342 and was martyred afterwards. This kind of vow is devoted to the iron door, the candle burns.
Orthodox Greek Church
It's in the Republican neighborhood. Built in 1850 by the Greek Cypriot community, the church is a pagoda covered with stones. After the three pointed arched entrance to the west, it is entered into the building from the door in the cruise shape.
On the north-east of the building there are four round-column bell towers that do not cross the roof. The apse in the east and the two parted roofs on the side were partially destroyed. The entrance is directly opposite an arched marble door and an apse door with two windows on both sides.
The frescoes depicting the angels in the tent on the apse are intact. The frescoes in the middle part of the Havara are partially broken.
The road to Rome is 15 km from Tarsus and is located in the upper part of the Healthy Village. The road to Rome is in a high place, from here it can be seen as far as Tarsus and its surroundings. The width of the road varies between 2.94 and 3.00 meters. Sturdy remains are 3 km long.
Clock tower is in the north-west of The Great Mosque’s courtyard. It was built by the Governor Ziya Bey in 1890.
St. Paulus Well
St. Paulus was born in Tarsus in the 3rd year of AD and made tent shelter, which is the occupation of his father.
Aziz, a Jewish Roman citizen, completed his first education in Tarsus, his higher education in Jerusalem, and later became the Apostle of Jesus. In the center of the building remains known as the house where S. Paulus was born and lived, It is known as medicinal.
Some Christians stop by Tarsus before going to Jerusalem to become a pilgrim and drink the healing and holy water from the well of St. Paul's. For this reason the St. Paulus well is an important center of visit for Christians.
Sahmaran, who is sculpted in the center of the city today, is known as a snake-bodied, male-headed creature. According to the legend, Sahmaran, who lived in Misis and was regarded as the king of snakes, fell in love with the daughter of Tarsus Kralf at that time. The beautiful Princess, while bathing in the Old Bath, climbed onto the bath and secretly watched her washing in the dome, once again falling into the bath while watching her, and then Prince's protectors killed Sahmaran with blowing his head off.
Today, it is believed that the red stains on the inner walls of the bath are the blood gushing out of Şahmeran's body.
It lies on the Tarsus River, 3 km north of the city. The tea is poured from 3 to 5 m high to form a waterfall. During the Romans, tea passed through the center of the city, and the area where the waterfall was located was used as a necropolis (cemetery).
The Ulu Mosque was built in 1579 by Ramazanoğlu Piri Pasha's son Ibrahim Bey. It was built in the early Ottoman style on the remains of the Pier Church. In the construction, a single minaret with a rectangular plan of dimensions 47x13 m, which is completely cut stone, is entered from the north side of the abdomen crown door.
The crown door is decorated with black and white marbles bearing Mamluk architectural features. It is entered into praying place with 16 doors with 16 domes and a portico, which are carved by diamond-sliced marble columns in the direction of the basin.
Inside the glass, three naves are separated in the direction of the east branch. The mukarnas marble mihrabı was made in the classical Ottoman style. The interior columns of the house are connected with semi-pointed arches called "Iranian Arches". There are tombs of Şey Aleyhisselam and Lokmanhekimve Caliph Memun adjacent to the eastern part of the glass.