The Nusret Mine Ship
The Nusret Mine Ships called the 'World's Most Famous Mine Ship' on March 18, 1915, with the reason that the Dardanelles Operation changed its fate. March 18, 1915 The Ir-resistible and Ocean vessels belonging to the British Navy and the Bouvet, armored ships belonging to the French Navy, have taken a big victory by sunken them in Canakkale naval war. It was sold in 1962 and used as a dry cargo ship for many years by some transportation companies belonging to the private sector.
The Nusret Mine Ship, which sank in the Mersin port in 1990, was exposed by volunteers in 1999. The Municipality of Tarsus went to Çanakkale to examine the models of the Nusret Mine Ship, and when they returned to Tarsus, they began work to return the World's Most Famous Mine Ship to her feat days. Having completed consolidation and maintenance work, the Nusret Mine Ship, at the Tarsus Canakkale Park, conveys the glorious past to generations.
The Cleopatra Gate
Tarsus, which boldly exhibits its historical richness, is accessed from a door that will reveal the experiences of thousands of years. The only gate remaining from the 3-door city waters built during the Byzantine Period is the Cleopatra Gate. Mountain, Adana and the sea, the remains of the three remaining gates of the remaining one of these walks is called the "West Gate". In Evliya Çelebi's Seyehatname, it was mentioned as dock gate.
The Ashab-i Kehf ı
The Ashab-i Kehf, the most important center of the "Seven Sleepers" belief in many parts of the world, is a sacred place of visit for Christians and Muslims. On the skirts of the Encapsus mountain, 12 km north of Tarsus, there are many narrations depicting the The Ashab-i Kehf, covering an area of about 200 m2. In which a natural collapse takes the form of a cave.
To summarize the Seven Sleepers case briefly; In Tarsus, for many years, it was oppressed according to beliefs; Maximilian, Iamblicus, Martinian, John, Dionysius, Exacustodianus and Antoninus seven genocide and secretly worship continues to sleep. Along with some changes, common expression in narrative; The Roman Emperor Diocletian, in a very godly period, invites him to the presence of seven generals because he believes he is the only god, and says that he will remain in the religion of the gods, otherwise he will kill them. Young people, who do not want to give up their beliefs, get refreshed in the cave of Ashab-I Kehf near Tarsus in a few days which are known to them. For the first time in this deep sleep that lasted for 309 years, Yemliha awakened and went to town to buy food. However, the money in his hand is very old. Also, the people who imagine the activities that they describe, go into the cave with Yemliha, but nothing appears except 7 birds who make a nest. The Islamic discourse goes on as follows: The people go to the cave with Yemliha and see that 6 people pray in it. The Yemliha goes into the cave and they all become invisible.
St. Paul’s Well
Saint Paul, an important figure in the Christian world, was born in Tarsus. For many years, there is a well in the place where it is believed that St. Paul's house is where it is. During the archaeological excavations, some wall remains were encountered. This has strengthened the belief that St. Paul's house is the place to be. It is believed that the well in Avlu is healed and it is an important belief point by Christians.
Daniel Prophet’s Grave
One of the prophets sent to the Children of Israel. Daniel Prophet lives between the 4th and 5th centuries BC. In the dream Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon saw that a son of the children of Israel would shake his kingdom, and commanded him to kill all the boys of the children of Israel. On this, his family leaves him in a cavern when he was born. Daniel Prophet grew up with a male and a female lion and then he joined his people when he grew up. Despite being a child, he was exiled to Babylon with his people in 606 BC. The Prophet was invited to Tarsus during a famine. With the arrival of Daniel, abundance begin in the region. People of the region who think that Daniel is fertile do not send him back to Babylon again. When he is dead, he is buried at the place where the Makam Mosque is located. When the Hz Omer conquers Tarsus, it opens the tomb. There is a tall male body wrapped in a fabric woven with gold thread, and a ring with a child figure between 2 lion. Hz Omer understands that Daniel is the Prophet. Omer bury him more deeply in order not to the Jews find this grave, and a stream of water from the Berdan river passes over the tomb. Because the Daniel grave is here, the mosque is called "Makam-i Sharif Mosque". That mosque, which has a belt and a vault, built in 1857. In the editing work on the glass which has a rectangular structure, a new door was made for entrance. The Makam-i Sharif Mosque, which bravely displays its former glory, has three steps, called the main authority, descending to a dome shaped like a flattened dome. In the east of here, there is a tomb of Prophet Daniel.
It was built in 1579 by İbrahim Bey, the son of Piri Pasha, from the Ramazanoğulları Emirate. The Ulu Mosque, which reflects Islamic art in every square meter, is constructed entirely of cut stone and built on the remains of St. Pierre Church. The inner courtyard of the Great Mosque, also known as Cami-i Nur, is about 10 meters high and 7.20 meters wide. There is a fountain, which is designed as a rectangle and has a repair book on its court. The Ulu Cami is made of marble with minbar, mihrab and muezzin, and the columns on the inside are connected with semi-pointed arches called Persian arches. The only honorarium is the crown door on the north side. The last congregation has 16 covered domes and 5 covered courtyards. At Ulu Cami, In addition to the authorities of the Seth and Rehabilitation Physician, there are the tombs of the Abbasid Caliphate Me'mun and the Sheikh Mohammad Hasan.
Kırkkaşık Bedesteni, built by the son of Piri Pasha in the Ramazanoğulları Principality İbrahim Bey in 1579 together with the Grand Mosque, was used as a soup kitchen and a madrasah. The bedesten, which is designed as a rectangle, is made entirely of cut stone and 5 layers of dome are built on it. The bedesten, with 25 rooms, took its name from the spoon ornament on the outside of the ceiling.
Kırkkaşık Bedesteni, which was used for a while as 'White Market', continued to be used as Grand Bazaar after the opening of the door in the east after the restoration works made in 1960's. Tarsus Municipality has restored the bedesten in 2004. In 2005 he received the "Project Competition Award" from the Historical Towns Union. Kırkkaşık Bedesteni, which has been serving different cultures for centuries, was opened again on March 7, 2007 as a center where tourist products and local flavors are sold.
During the Armenian kingdom in the 13th century, King Oshin built it as an Armenian church. Church was repaired by the French Crusaders in 1102. It was started to be used as a mosque by Ramazanoğulları in 1415. For centuries, the Old Mosque is still one of the greatest witnesses of history. There are rumors that the Old Mosque was dedicated to St. Paul. Reminiscent of the Roman architecture, the thick and tall walls, the deep windows, as well as the spacious interior and striking the pillar in the thick columns. Among the rumors about the Old Mosque, in 1198, the Pope's embassy, the Bishop of Mainz, Konrad Von Wittelsbach, also made a crowning ceremony here to declare the 1st Leon as the Armenian king.
The Old Mosque, covering an area of 460 square meters, has gray granite columns on the north and south walls that are thought to have remained from ancient times. The main entrance, the western gate, has a pretty beautiful view. There is the Mihrap instead of the southern gate, and the last congregation in the northern part. A minaret was later added to the southwestern section. The interior is 19.30 wide, 17.50 meters long. When you examine the tannery, you will encounter Jesus, Yohannes in the east, Mattaios, Marcos in the west, and Lucas' frescoes in the west. On the northwest corner, it is possible to see the bell tower.
Built in 1557 by Ramazanoğulları Beyi Kubat Pasha, the madrasa is the only educational institution that has come up to the present day from centuries ago. The open medrese, which is made of smoothly cut stone, reflects the traditional Seljuk architecture. This historic structure, designed in a rectangular shape, has 16 rooms. It will be restored in our time and it will become "City Museum" by Tarsus Municipality.
St. Paul Church
St. Paul, the only church carrying the name of St. Paul. Although the history of Paul Church is not fully known, 11-12 AD. It is estimated to have been made in the yy. St. Paul's Church, one of the oldest churches of Christianity, contains works by some painters.
On the ceiling Jesus, Marcos, Yohanna, Luca's frescoes give an artistic taste. Circular lighting is on the sides of the angel. St. Paul's Church, an important center of worship for centuries, has three dome in the east direction, a bell tower in the north, and three dome in the eastern part as a semicircle.
The most interesting of the Tarsus myths is the Shahmaran legend. The story takes place between Camsab, a young man from Tarsus, and Shahmaran who are the snakes of the snakes.
According to the legend, Camsab is a young person who goes through woodcutting with his friends. One day he goes to a pit to buy honey. This pit is a gate to the underground world where Shahmaran lives. Camsab goes down unwittingly here. The snakes catch him and take him to Shahmaran. Camsab tells Sahmeran how and why he came here for a long time. Shahmaran also tells some secrets to Camsab. However, he is afraid of telling others when he emerges on the earth and keeps the Camsab in her country. Having decided that Camsab, who lived here for a long time, is reliable, Shahmaran frees him, but he has two conditions: He never tells anyone they see here and never wants to go to the hottub. Or she says his body will turn into a snake. Otherwise, everyone will understand what you see the Sheriff. Camsab has not spoken a word to anyone for many years after leaving Shahmaran. However, one day the king gets sick, and the only medicine is Shahmaran, is heard from the court. The king's men try to find the people who see the Lord by inserting all the people into the bath. When Camsab hears this, he escapes and hides for a while. However, the king's men, like all the people, will put the rams in labor. The body of Camsab is suddenly covered with the snakeskin. The King's men try to persuade Camsab for a long time to tell him where to go. Finally, Camsab tells Shahmaran. The King's men kill Shahmaran and offer the king in 3 pieces. The king heals. According to the legend, snakes still do not know that Shahmaran is dead and they expect him to come. The walls of Shahmaran’s Batch, which is known as the bath where Shahmaran was murdered, are made of rubble and have features of traditional Turkish baths. The Bath which attracted the attention of local and foreign tourists in terms of legend continues to be used today.
The Ancient Road, built 2100 years ago, was made of lime stone covered with subterranean basalt and volcanic stones. On both sides of this historic road, which has managed to preserve the original image for thousands of years, there are rain channels prepared to evacuate rainwater. On this antique road, which is thought to be used in urban transport, it is possible to trace the wheels of vehicles of that turn. The edges are surrounded by walls to prevent the ancient transport vehicles using this road from getting out of the way. A rectangular shaped room of a house with a mosaic courtyard was unearthed on the south-west of the ancient route. In the middle of this room was found a pool remains covered with colored marble slabs. Under the Antik Road, there is a sewage system measuring 170 cm in height and 70 cm in width. This structure, which has been operating for about 2100 years, is currently conducting rainwater drainage. The fact that the Slefkos Kingdom had built such a system thousands of years ago attracts attention of local people as well as domestic and foreign tourists.
In the mountainous parts of the Healthy Village, 15 km away from Tarsus, there is an ancient road made of stone of Roman period. The road, which is about 3 km long, has a width of 3 meters. There are railings on the road to Rome that prevent the transportation of vehicles. The Roman and Byzantine epigraphs and tombs also protect the interior of this tissue. It is thought that the arched structure on the Roman road is the victory of the border gate. The arched door made of cut stone is 5.20m high and 8.80m wide.
Historical Tarsus’s Houses
In Tarsus, which has a rich history, Historical Tarsus Houses which keep the history alive continue to be important today. The historical floor of the historical Tarsus Houses, made of stone, mud brick and wood, was built in two sections, the warehouse and the upper floor.
The cotton growing in Çukurova is kept in the warehouse of the houses since the volume takes up a lot of space. Over the years, in accordance with the necessities of this construction, such as bathrooms, kitchens have been made. The high wall and courtyard are some of the features of traditional Tarsus Houses. With today's consolidation efforts, these constructions are renewed and continue to live in visual richness in the streets of history of Tarsus.
Baç Bridge, built by the Byzantine Emperor Justinian in the 6th century AD, is located on the Berdan River at the entrance of Tarsus, which has been famous for its rich history for centuries. Justinianus Bridge is also known as Baç Bridge. The reason for this is the tax that was taken in the past for the transition from the bridge (Baç). The bridge, which was recently restored in 1978, is exhibited as another historical monument that brightens the star of Tarsus in all its splendor.
Remains of the baths from the Roman period reveal the fascinating historical texture of Tarsus. This building, which is thought to belong to the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD and is also known as the "Roman Bath", is made of thick Horasan layers, rubble stones and bricks, and the interior is connected to the arches. In the examinations made, it has been determined that there are chimneys and ventilation holes in the wall to the east of this historic building. The wall is partially intact. Nowadays, the western and northern parts have been completely demolished and a 3.5 meter wide and 4 meter high road has been opened on the southern wall. For this reason, the people call it "Do not Pass Under" here.
Donuktaş Roman Temple
Donuktas Roman Temple, one of the oldest historical structures of Tarsus, is home to many legends. The most common of these is that it is a palace on the Gözlü Tower. According to the legend, the ruler lived together with his daughter in this palace. A prophet believed to have lived at that time, the regime was stifled and kicked into his palace. The palace turned back and fell to the present day.
In some archaeological books, this structure is also referred to as Jupiter (Zeus). Sefir Barbaro, a traveler, wrote in 1545 that he was a palace in a prisoner. In 1835, the Tarsus Dutch Consul Berker said that this place was a royal tomb. Make the reviews done, M.S. It was discovered that the construction started towards the end of the 2nd century but could not be finished. The temple, which is understood to have been made using Roman concrete in the dimension of 100x43 m, is preserved today as an important cultural heritage.