Ancient Street, which was excavated in 1993 with a foundation excavation, shows a large and solid section from the glory of Tarsus about two thousand years ago. It is interesting that many famous names have used this route which was understood to serve long term in antiquity. These include St. Paul, Cicero, Julius Casear (Augustus), Athenedoros, Nestor, Cleopatra, M. Antonius and Hadrian are the most famous among them. Today, Antique Street, which lies in the center of modern Tarsus, is 6.5 m. Long with basalt stones placed in polygonal technique. And it is possible to reveal a part of 60 m. At first glance, it is revealed that the basin-shaped fishery form and the sewerage plant just below it are different from other ways in Anatolia in terms of architecture. There is also a columned platform to the immediate east of the street, and a Roman house belonging to a turn after the moon on the west side. This house with a mosaic courtyard is probably M.S. IV or V. century, it is also documented that the street has been used for a long time.
The most important center of the "Seven Sleepers" belief in many parts of the world is the Eshâb-i Kehf Cave in Tarsus. The fact that the exact time unknown is explained both by Muslims and Christians, and that it takes place in the Qur'an in the name of Surah Al-Ashkab al-Kehf is important. Though the event is described in various forms today, it is confronted with seven genocide protests, in essence Tarsus, which has been shown to beliefs for many years. Another point that remains unchanged in these narratives is mexemlina, Yemliha, Mislina, Mernuş, Debernuş, Şazenuş, Kefeştatayyuş, who took shelter in a cave on Mount Encülüs. Documentation of the event is developing between the emergence of the truth by sending Yemliha to Tarsus. Names are in the Christian version in the form of Maksimyanus, Malkus (Margus), Martininanus, Konstanitnos, Dionisyus, Yuhanis. Eshâb-ı Kehf finds an important place among the beliefs of Anatolian people. To the north. The encountment consists of a closed area of about 200 square meters where the natural collapse of the mountain skirts takes the form of a cave. Down from today's hiking ground is a 15-step ladder. There is a mosque just above the cave. The mother of Sultan Abdülaziz was built by Ahmet Efendi, the city muftis, appointed by the deputy of Pertevniyal Sultan, in 1872. Three more minarets were added to the window. The area has become an important tourism center of Tarsus in recent years. A long time after St. Paul passed the Christian rules, he came to Tarsus, the Roman Emperor (Diocletianus?) As Takyanus in the Arabian sources, and invited these young men to come to them because they believed in a single god in the multitude of gods and told them to stick to the Roman religion, otherwise he would kill them I told you. These young people, who did not want to spend their lives in the beliefs of one God, took shelter in a few days time given by the Emperor and took shelter in this cavern near Tarsus and miraculously lived there for 309 years. When the first waking Yimhae goes to the city to buy food, it is understood that the money in his possession is too old and that what he speaks is not reasonable, the people of the city go to the cave together with him. But in the cave, seven little birds can not see anything other than a nest of birds. This is the result in the Islamic version. Those who came to the cave see six people in the prayer. They leave the pussy outside and go into the cave, and then the seven become invisible. According to Akagündüz, Y. Baş, R. Tekin, and O. Kaşıkçı, an academic study: the authors have discussed this rationale by explaining the verses 9-26 of the siege of the Qur'an. Moreover, in the book published according to the results of 36 sources, 34 of which are Turkish-Islamic and 2 of which are Western, the place of this narrator is shown as Eshab-i Kehf in Tarsus. TA Caglar, approaching this issue with a different point of view, said that the conical mountain structure at the place where the event is said to be a mountain ash, and that the names take the form of "nuş and yüş", may be of Hittite, Luvi or Que origin rather than Islamic or ancient, such as Labarnaş or Hattushas . In this case, there is a different version which should be paid attention to, which is the controversial place and who it belongs to.
The mosque, also known as the Cami-i Kebir or Cami-i Nur, constituted the center of the city until close. Today, the tomb and imaret around it, and the clock tower added to the north in 1895, preserves the appearance of a large complex. The construction of the glass was realized in 1579 by İbrahim Bey, son of Ramazanoğlu Bey Piri Mehmet Pasha. However, in the construction area, it is understood that the material which had previously been a great mabed, used in construction, is the recycled material. Hz. Adjacent to the eastern wall of the glass. Shit, Hz. There are the Buddhist doctors and Caliph Me'mun's sandboxes. The mosque mihrab has a three-storey plan extending parallel. Adjacent to the northern ceiling, there is a fountain in the middle of the pavilion courtyard, which reaches about twice the interior volume. There are also two minarets in the northeast and northwest corners of the courtyard. It is understood that it was built in 1363 and belongs to another community, separate from the north-western structure. The second minaret was renewed in 1895 by the governor Ziya Pasha as the clock tower.
It is the only gate left from the walls of Tarsus and the main gate that opens to the west side of the city. Because it is close to dock, it is called "Sea Gate" or "Silifke Gate" because it is on the route of Seleukia among the most important cities of the period. On the 19th century trip notes, St. Paul's Gate, the name "Kancik Kapı", is said to be the Cleopatra Gate today. There is no definite information about the period, but according to the material used during construction, the Byzantine period must be completed or made during the Abbasi period. However, the place where the present door is located also indicates the presence of the old one. The elevation of the single arched door is 8.50 m. The width in the middle is 5.60 m. It has undergone a bad restoration in recent years, including a single semi-circular arch.
The mound, occupying an important place in the history of Çukurova as well as Tarsus, is today in the center of Tarsus and in the Cami-i Nur district. In 1935 the mound was introduced to the world by the American excavation team that World War began and continued until 1939. The mound consists of two separate hills and is 300 m. length. It has uninterrupted settlement from the Early Bronze Age to the Ottoman period. However, after Hellenism, the strata are seen to be weaker due to the spread of the city to the present ova. The three-volume book published after the American studies, together with all the works found during the excavations, constitutes the most comprehensive study about Tarsus. The layers that Prof. Dr. Hetty Goldman made on the two hills at the top of the tomb, despite the repainting of the present day, contain important information, especially from the Early Bronze Age to the Hittite strata, for the Eastern Mediterranean, Cyprus and Egyptian relations. A structure uncovered in the Hittite Age in these strata is important for the first time to document the use of beetle in Anatolia.
Daniel Prophet’s Grave
One of the prophets sent to the Children of Israel. Daniel Prophet lives between the 4th and 5th centuries BC. In the dream Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon saw that a son of the children of Israel would shake his kingdom, and commanded him to kill all the boys of the children of Israel. On this, his family leaves him in a cavern when he was born. Daniel Prophet grew up with a male and a female lion and then he joined his people when he grew up. Despite being a child, he was exiled to Babylon with his people in 606 BC. The Prophet was invited to Tarsus during a famine. With the arrival of Daniel, abundance begin in the region. People of the region who think that Daniel is fertile do not send him back to Babylon again. When he is dead, he is buried at the place where the Makam Mosque is located. When the Hz Omer conquers Tarsus, it opens the tomb. There is a tall male body wrapped in a fabric woven with gold thread, and a ring with a child figure between 2 lion. Hz Omer understands that Daniel is the Prophet. Omer bury him more deeply in order not to the Jews find this grave, and a stream of water from the Berdan river passes over the tomb. Because the Daniel grave is here, the mosque is called "Makam-i Sharif Mosque". That mosque, which has a belt and a vault, built in 1857. In the editing work on the glass which has a rectangular structure, a new door was made for entrance. The Makam-i Sharif Mosque, which bravely displays its former glory, has three steps, called the main authority, descending to a dome shaped like a flattened dome. In the east of here, there is a tomb of Prophet Daniel.
During the Armenian kingdom in the 13th century, King Oshin built it as an Armenian church. Church was repaired by the French Crusaders in 1102. It was started to be used as a mosque by Ramazanoğulları in 1415. For centuries, the Old Mosque is still one of the greatest witnesses of history. There are rumors that the Old Mosque was dedicated to St. Paul. Reminiscent of the Roman architecture, the thick and tall walls, the deep windows, as well as the spacious interior and striking the pillar in the thick columns. Among the rumors about the Old Mosque, in 1198, the Pope's embassy, the Bishop of Mainz, Konrad Von Wittelsbach, also made a crowning ceremony here to declare the 1st Leon as the Armenian king.
The Old Mosque, covering an area of 460 square meters, has gray granite columns on the north and south walls that are thought to have remained from ancient times. The main entrance, the western gate, has a pretty beautiful view. There is the Mihrap instead of the southern gate, and the last congregation in the northern part. A minaret was later added to the southwestern section. The interior is 19.30 wide, 17.50 meters long. When you examine the tannery, you will encounter Jesus, Yohannes in the east, Mattaios, Marcos in the west, and Lucas' frescoes in the west. On the northwest corner, it is possible to see the bell tower.
Mencik Father Tomb
It is known that Mencik Father, who was tied to the Üç-Ok branch of the Turkmens and who settled in Tarsus in the foundation years of the Ottoman State, was Horasan. The Turks, who came from Central Asia mostly with the ambition that they established in Tarsus, aimed to help each other and to provide shelter. At the tomb also gathered the scholars who had migrated to Anatolia before the Turkish illusions and kept them to continue their studies there. Today the mausoleum in Tekke District was opened by the Municipality of Tarsus for the purpose of environmental regulation. The square planned structure (9.50X 9.50) is located in a courtyard. The entrance is provided from the west side and there are several windows on the other three sides. It is covered with cross vaults.
Kırkkaşık Bedesten, built by the son of Piri Pasha in the Ramazanoğulları Principality İbrahim Bey in 1579 together with the Grand Mosque, was used as a soup kitchen and a madrasah. The bedesten, which is designed as a rectangle, is made entirely of cut stone and 5 layers of dome are built on it. The bedesten, with 25 rooms, took its name from the spoon ornament on the outside of the ceiling.
Kırkkaşık Bedesteni, which was used for a while as 'White Market', continued to be used as Grand Bazaar after the opening of the door in the east after the restoration works made in 1960's. Tarsus Municipality has restored the bedesten in 2004. In 2005 he received the "Project Competition Award" from the Historical Towns Union. Kırkkaşık Bedesteni, which has been serving different cultures for centuries, was opened again on March 7, 2007 as a center where tourist products and local flavors are sold.
Bilali Habeşi Mesjid
The places where the Islamic armies conquered Hz. Muhammad's (s.a.v) muezzin is a mosque built in the place where Bilal-i Habeshi read and prayed. It lies on the south-west corner of the Grand Mosque. Although the date of construction is not known, the seizure of the records of a foundation founded in 1519 in the Ottoman records in the name of Bilal-i Habeshi indicates the presence of the mesjid before this date. Also, the sacred knowledge of the well in the mosque suggests that a mosque was built here after Bilal-i Habeshi from Tarsus in the 7th century. The mosque has a plain appearance; To the north is the last place of the three-columned congregation. While the last congregation site is covered with three oval domes, the main place covers a single dome with a drum. Instead of worship, a simple portal is entered. Also in the inner part is a sarcophagus representing the office of Bilal-i Habeshi immediately to the right of the entrance.
St. Paul Church
St. Paul, the only church carrying the name of St. Paul. Although the history of Paul Church is not fully known, 11-12 AD. It is estimated to have been made in the yy. St. Paul's Church, one of the oldest churches of Christianity, contains works by some painters.
On the ceiling Jesus, Marcos, Yohanna, Luca's frescoes give an artistic taste. Circular lighting is on the sides of the angel. St. Paul's Church, an important center of worship for centuries, has three dome in the east direction, a bell tower in the north, and three dome in the eastern part as a semicircle.
St. Paul’s Well
Saint Paul, an important figure in the Christian world, was born in Tarsus. For many years, there is a well in the place where it is believed that St. Paul's house is where it is. During the archaeological excavations, some wall remains were encountered. This has strengthened the belief that St. Paul's house is the place to be. It is believed that the well in Avlu is healed and it is an important belief point by Christians.
Historical Tarsus’s Houses
In Tarsus, which has a rich history, Historical Tarsus Houses which keep the history alive continue to be important today. The historical floor of the historical Tarsus Houses, made of stone, mud brick and wood, was built in two sections, the warehouse and the upper floor.
The cotton growing in Çukurova is kept in the warehouse of the houses since the volume takes up a lot of space. Over the years, in accordance with the necessities of this construction, such as bathrooms, kitchens have been made. The high wall and courtyard are some of the features of traditional Tarsus Houses. With today's consolidation efforts, these constructions are renewed and continue to live in visual richness in the streets of history of Tarsus.
Another important Roman period structure of Tarsus is the remains of a large bathroom. The building, which is almost contemporary with the Donutsaş Temple, was built with the same technique. People now call "Passing Under" or "Kemeraltı" because of their large mass, which is why the passageways opened to facilitate access to the back streets. Because it is located in the center of the bazaar, it has been used for other purposes in every period and for this reason it is among the most destructed remains in Tarsus. The remnants that appear today are composed of two main blocks. Two walls with an east-west axis and a south-north axis perpendicular to it again are 3 m. Thickness and about 9 m. In height. In the north-western part where these walls intersect, there is an ivy covered with a dome. The structure was made of rubble stones with Opus sementicum (Roman concrete) technique. In addition, during the excavations conducted under the sponsorship of the Berdan Foundation, a pool of euphoria and a heating system (hypocaust) beneath it were uncovered.
Donuktaş Roman Temple
Donuktas Roman Temple, one of the oldest historical structures of Tarsus, is home to many legends. The most common of these is that it is a palace on the Gözlü Tower. According to the legend, the ruler lived together with his daughter in this palace. A prophet believed to have lived at that time, the regime was stifled and kicked into his palace. The palace turned back and fell to the present day.
In some archaeological books, this structure is also referred to as Jupiter (Zeus). Sefir Barbaro, a traveler, wrote in 1545 that he was a palace in a prisoner. In 1835, the Tarsus Dutch Consul Berker said that this place was a royal tomb. Make the reviews done, M.S. It was discovered that the construction started towards the end of the 2nd century but could not be finished. The temple, which is understood to have been made using Roman concrete in the dimension of 100x43 m, is preserved today as an important cultural heritage.
It is known that most of today's highways are followed by ancient routes. Especially today Tarsus - Pozantı motorway seems to use the same route by destroying the ancient road to a great extent. However, due to the fact that modern technology is not economical and safe, some parts of the road that it does not touch have largely been saved from the devastation. It is one of these roads which are lined with limestone in the heights of the village of Sağlıklı and 14 km west of Ankara asphalt, and continuing for approximately 2 km. It is known as the most important route linking the Mediterranean to Central Anatolia in history, while its height from the sea extends from the hills not exceeding 200 m to the north and to the Taurus Mountains. The road was probably built in the 1st century AD and used until about the mid 4th century AD. Rugged limestone blocks are made of sturdy limestone blocks and a high trough is built on both sides to prevent the cars from escaping. Even the curves that make it easier to fit the topography and the more space left for the two cars to meet are interesting notes of the remaining parts. There is also a monumental gate at the point where the path Tarsus ovasan can see up to the sea, but the reason and history of construction are unknown because the book of construction can not be found. This one-arched, simple workmanship has been worn and rebuilt incorrectly using the existing stones, which have been demolished with the dynamites laid down in the recent past.
Kubat Pasha Madrasah
It was built in 1557 by Kubat Pasha with stone. In the west, there is an outflow portal.
Opposite to the entrance iwan, there are four main steps leading to the first one. This is overlain by the pegs sitting on the main wall through pendentives. There is a mihrab on the south side of this iwan.
The rooms on the sides of the original iwan and wide iwan are covered with a monastery vault. There are student rooms in the north and south of the courtyard. Kubat Pasha Madrasa is used today as a Tarsus Museum.
The building to the north of the Makam Mosque was probably built on the foundations of the old Roman Baths. It belongs to Mahmut Pasha Foundation in the book on the entrance gate and it is written that it was repaired by Mir Mahmut Galip in 1873. However, the hamam was repaired many times, after a long idle time, it started to serve again with the repairs made in 1990. The building has a rectangular plan and consists of three sections. Immediately at the entrance, the undressing, covered with a dome, and part of the ashtray complete the plan. The entrance is located on the western side and is below the ground. From here, square plan and two-storey wooden dressing section is passed. The washing section consists of two parts. These sections, where the kurnas are located, are passed through narrow and flat passages. The floor is completely covered with marble. The red stains seen on some of the marbles of the building, the main site of the Şahmeran legend, have been changed during repairs.
It lies to the east of the area where the Grand Mosque is located. It was built in 1785 by Mîr al-Hâc Tor-zâde. The port in the west, where the building still used today is destroyed. The bath consists of dressing, warmth, warmth and ashtrays. From the west, the entrance to the dressing section is shifted to a labyrinth-like entrance. This part covered with a fairly high dome was later doubled. The part of the warmth is covered with a rectangular plan and two small domes. The temperature section in the immediate north is a square plan and a single dome. Four cells covered with smaller dome on the corners are used as bathing areas. There are octagonal belly stones in the middle part and four small eybands in which the bats are placed on the edges. The grounds are very broken, the marble has been replaced by tiles.
The most interesting of the Tarsus myths is the Shahmaran legend. The story takes place between Camsab, a young man from Tarsus, and Shahmaran who are the snakes of the snakes.
According to the legend, Camsab is a young person who goes through woodcutting with his friends. One day he goes to a pit to buy honey. This pit is a gate to the underground world where Shahmaran lives. Camsab goes down unwittingly here. The snakes catch him and take him to Shahmaran. Camsab tells Sahmeran how and why he came here for a long time. Shahmaran also tells some secrets to Camsab. However, he is afraid of telling others when he emerges on the earth and keeps the Camsab in her country. Having decided that Camsab, who lived here for a long time, is reliable, Shahmaran frees him, but he has two conditions: He never tells anyone they see here and never wants to go to the hottub. Or she says his body will turn into a snake. Otherwise, everyone will understand what you see the Sheriff. Camsab has not spoken a word to anyone for many years after leaving Shahmaran. However, one day the king gets sick, and the only medicine is Shahmaran, is heard from the court. The king's men try to find the people who see the Lord by inserting all the people into the bath. When Camsab hears this, he escapes and hides for a while. However, the king's men, like all the people, will put the rams in labor. The body of Camsab is suddenly covered with the snakeskin. The King's men try to persuade Camsab for a long time to tell him where to go. Finally, Camsab tells Shahmaran. The King's men kill Shahmaran and offer the king in 3 pieces. The king heals. According to the legend, snakes still do not know that Shahmaran is dead and they expect him to come. The walls of Shahmaran’s Batch, which is known as the bath where Shahmaran was murdered, are made of rubble and have features of traditional Turkish baths. The Bath which attracted the attention of local and foreign tourists in terms of legend continues to be used today.
The Berdan River, which plays an important role in the emergence of the Çukurova delta with alluviums it carries, comes from the rivers of the southeast slopes of the Central Taurus Mountains (Bolkar Mountains). Unlike Seyhan and Ceyhan rivers, Çukurova is a short way to the Mediterranean. The most important of the rivers that make up the total length of 142 km is Can, Pamuklu and Kusun. Berdan (antique Kydnos), who draws wide springs in Tarsus rubble before being cast into the Mediterranean, is also an important choice in the establishment of Tarsus at the same time. Berdan, meaning cold water, is also 4 km away from the city. It also has a natural beauty in the north. While the bed was changed by the Byzantine emperor Justinyen (M.S. 527-565), it actually turned into a large, high ceiling in the necropolis used until the end of the Roman period. At the end of this study which is made to protect the city from floods, today it is about 15 m. The water spilling from the conglomerate rocks at the height reaches its peak in winter, especially in the spring. Today, stepped or rampic (dromos) chamber tombs in the necropolis at the same point have been largely destroyed due to the weakness of the conglomerate rocks they have carved and the strong current can not resist. Today, the waterfall and its surroundings are at the top of the places where Tarsus has an interest especially on hot summer days. The pond and cascade, expanding by spring (138 m3 / s) in spring, creates a magnificent image with sun set. Because of this feature, the Arabs gave the name "El-Baradan" which means cold water to Kydnos. This name has become a daybreak. At the same time it is a fact that some of the water, also known as healing, has opened unwanted work. By referring to a possibility, historical sources refer to the fact that Alexander the Great had pneumonia after washing in Kydnos and that he died in Syria shortly after healing. In the Caliph Memun, the same outcome died in Tarsus and was buried in Tarsus.
The Nusret Mine Ship
The Nusret Mine Ships called the 'World's Most Famous Mine Ship' on March 18, 1915, with the reason that the Dardanelles Operation changed its fate. March 18, 1915 The Ir-resistible and Ocean vessels belonging to the British Navy and the Bouvet, armored ships belonging to the French Navy, have taken a big victory by sunken them in Canakkale naval war. It was sold in 1962 and used as a dry cargo ship for many years by some transportation companies belonging to the private sector.
The Nusret Mine Ship, which sank in the Mersin port in 1990, was exposed by volunteers in 1999. The Municipality of Tarsus went to Çanakkale to examine the models of the Nusret Mine Ship, and when they returned to Tarsus, they began work to return the World's Most Famous Mine Ship to her feat days. Having completed consolidation and maintenance work, the Nusret Mine Ship, at the Tarsus Canakkale Park, conveys the glorious past to generations.
Taşkuyu Cave, located about 10 km northwest of Tarsus; The Permo-Carboniferous marbles and the Miocene limestones covering them developed in the contact zone. The entrance of the cave is 214 meters above sea level and the known total length is 470 meters. The temperature is in the range of 19.5 C to 24 C and the relative humidity is between 77% and 89%. The cave is made up of interconnected galleries. It is possible to see impressive examples of stalactites, stalagmites, columns, wall and curtain drop stones, cover drip stones and pools in these galleries. In addition, there are rare eccentricities (contradictions) and cave pearls in Taşkuyu Cave, which are rare in our country caves. The project prepared by Tarsus Municipality for the tourism opening of Taşkuyu Cave has been approved by the Adana Environment and Urban Planning Directorate of Nature Conservation Commission's Decision dated 13.12.2012 and numbered 52. Taşkuyu Cave Walking Road and Illumination Work Tender 28-05-2014 Renaissance Kent Yapı İnş. Min. Mad. Har. Singing. Tic. Ltd. Şti has been left and tendered with 551.574,88 TL + VAT. Cukurova Development Agency contributed 436.699,61 TL to the work provided 114.875 TL. Was received by the Municipality of Tarsus. Project of Taşkuyu Cave It was prepared during Burhanettin KOCAMAZ period, In Şevket CAN period, the application work was completed and opened to service and brought to the tourism of the country.